Tuesday, August 02, 2005

New Life, New Job

Why do I keep doing this? I seriously doubt if anyone will read this, but...

To go along with my new life (see previous entry on this blog), I now have a new job: Managing Editor of Texas A&M University Press. I start August 15. I can't decide if I'm scared, eager, sad, or happy. So, I'm sticking with some combination of all the above. It's a much larger press with a very active publishing program, so I'll be on a steep learning curve for awhile. I'm already listed on the web site, so I guess it's official.

I've even rented an apartment to live in until the wedding. I haven't lived in an apartment since 1979. I don't think much has changed, though. And now I can afford cable.

My deepest regret is that I'll be doing the long-distance parenting thing; my kids will stay here (one just graduated from college, one enters college as a freshman this fall, and one is in 7th grade). But they're being very supportive, for which I'm grateful. We'll figure it out. And I'll only be four hours away.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Hey, Thom -

I am so happy for you! God puts such amazing surprises on our path when we least expect it. I know you will embrace both this new challenge at A&M, as well as your new married life. Try not to let exhaustion spoil the day! ;)

John and I wish you all of God's best blessings in this latest adventure as you journey with him.

Jill Eileen Smith said...

Hi Thom,

I'm joining the two people that read your blog today, and wanted to introduce myself. :) I'm also a writer of Biblical fiction (though not yet published - praying my agent has success in that some day!)

But anyway, I'm the Biblical fiction host on a new historical blog - http://favoritepastimes.blogspot.com/ - and next week (July 17th) is my week to talk about Biblical fiction. On day two I plan to list some of the authors that I know of that write in this genre, and I remembered reading some of your work in the past - He Who Wept comes to mind)- so I'm going to link to your weblog - so that you'll have more than two readers. :) I would link to your website, but you don't have much info there.

I hope you'll stop in for a visit at the Favorite PASTimes blog and leave a comment if you like what you see. I've had a hard time breaking in with Biblical fiction (my passion) and am hoping this blog, among other things helps to bring this genre more into the eyes of the reading public. There is plenty of revisionist Biblical fiction in the ABA - I figure we can use a lot more apologist types in the CBA.

In any case, I wish you all the best with your writing and your new job and new life.

Many blessings,